[TowerTalk] Pass through for cinder block houses ala K4XS

cqtestk4xs at aol.com cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Thu Jul 2 08:51:03 EDT 2020

 I've been doing this for years in FL.First caveat, be sure you're going through a "hollow core" and not a core that has been filled with rebar and 3000 lb concrete.? In other words stay away from corners, near windows, doors etc.? These will all be solid core poured and just about futile..
As far as making the hole I use a concrete grinding wheel to make the hole (square/rectangle is the easiest).? On the inside, cut the sheet rock with a knife to make the same size hole.? To cover the outside I use a sheet of 3/16 aluminum which has holes to accommodate the double female connectors which are attached to it.? On the 3/16 sheet I run a strip of copper which is attached to the ground.? If you make the hole big enough it is quite easy to disconnect the inside PL259s from the sheet....kinda important here in FL.? To finish it off I box in the opening on the inside with trim and on the outside I caulk around the? aluminum sheet.? No issues since? the 1980s doing it this way at several installations.? The process is much easier with a frame house.
By the way, use your covid mask, you'll need it.? it's a dusty job.