[TowerTalk] Straightening 45g tower base

Blake Sobiloff sobiloff at icloud.com
Mon Jul 6 18:48:00 EDT 2020

That’s right, it’s the solid rod version. At the moment I’m only looking at putting up a VHF/UHF vertical (Diamond X300NA), but that could change someday so I’d like to get this as right as possible.

Thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions! I decided to use some washers on the low leg to bring the tower closer to plumb, and then drill new mounting bolt holes 90° from the existing ones. Interestingly, it turns out the base wasn’t too far off, but the first segment appears to have a poorly manufactured leg—the tilt followed one leg as I tried the segment in all three orientations.

Now the tower is no more than 0.3° from plumb in any direction.

Let’s hope the rest of the segments don’t suffer from the same issue…

--
Blake Sobiloff (N6BNS)
Reno, NV (USA)