[TowerTalk] Straightening 45g tower base

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Jul 7 11:47:32 EDT 2020

Some of the tower products that I have purchased were also very
unprecise.  I understand shimming the flange to plum the sections but
what are you re-drilling?

John KK9A

Blake N6BNS wrote:

That’s right, it’s the solid rod version. At the moment I’m only
looking at putting up a VHF/UHF vertical (Diamond X300NA), but that
could change someday so I’d like to get this as right as possible.

Thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions! I decided to
use some washers on the low leg to bring the tower closer to plumb,
and then drill new mounting bolt holes 90° from the existing ones.
Interestingly, it turns out the base wasn’t too far off, but the first
segment appears to have a poorly manufactured leg—the tilt followed
one leg as I tried the segment in all three orientations.

Now the tower is no more than 0.3° from plumb in any direction.

Let’s hope the rest of the segments don’t suffer from the same issue…

--
Blake Sobiloff (N6BNS)
Reno, NV (USA)