[TowerTalk] OT: Bonding to Teflon

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Thu Jul 9 14:52:26 EDT 2020

"Glue" is historically made from animal products. Modern bonding agents
are "Adhesives." You will get better search results if you use "adhesive."

"Teflon" is a brand name and applies to several chemically-different
forms. One common form is TFE and is white in color. But, FEP is also
common and not usually white. Both types cold flow under load so will
change shape unexpectedly.

Neither TFE nor FEP can be adhesively bonded. You might get a
"mechanical" bond if the Teflon surface is somewhat rough but not a
chemical adhesive bond.

A mastic adhesive like that on thick double-sided tape will show some
adhesion to Teflon but not a chemical bond. It might be enough if the
load is low.

But, you can treat the Teflon surface to make it chemically active and
bondable with common adhesives, including epoxy. The most common
treatment chemical is sold as, "Tetra-Etch" and a simple Google search
will turn up many results. But, beware, it is pretty nasty stuff. Amazon
does not sell it. I've used lots of Tetra-Etch over many years and it
definitely works; it makes the Teflon surface adhesively bondable, at
least at moderate bond strengths. It turns the white TFE surface a light
to dark gray in color. The etched surface has reasonable, but not
indefinite, active life; you really want to adhesively bond the etched
Teflon surface in a day or two at most.

My recollection is that Tetra-Etch contains an alcohol and sodium;
disposal is not simple... But, it works!

Larry

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, California  (SE of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)