[TowerTalk] VERTICALS NEAR SALT WATER

Mark - N5OT r-emails at n5ot.com
Tue Jul 14 09:08:47 EDT 2020

Dude.  Kindred souls - I worked up a station on Caye Caulker (I was
V31NN for a while) but that is all gone now. I had the exact same
questions and got the same answer as KK9A gave. QSOs back over the
island don't get the famous Team Vertical magic sauce, according to
many.  However, I didn't think their citations were very good, sounded
somewhat anecdotal, somewhat "conventional wisdom", and just ... not
really authoritative. Given that the island was mostly or all coral, I
can't imagine it being very conductive.  Not sure what the mainland is
made of. Probably dirt and rock, heh.

I sifted and sifted through the literature, looking for everything that
said anything like "verticals over salt water are fantastic" (we have
seen a lot of that, right?) and nowhere did I ever find any author make
a statement that sounded anything like "This only works in the direction
of the ocean but not over the land" or "You have to make sure to pick a
location that has the ocean in the directions where you want to have
this augmentation effect." Granted I am sure I did not read 100% of all
of everything published on it.  I sure tried though.  Meanwhile, when I
asked, people would look at me like I was an idiot.  "Of course this
only works in the direction of the water, you ignorant slut" as if they
actually knew the answer.  Which I secretly doubted.  Shhh.  Don't tell
anybody.

After all that, I can tell you that when I had verticals on the dock,
way out over the ocean (this dock was 300 feet long and I had separate
antennas for all the different bands) I was really loud in Europe
(absolutely over salt water) and made plenty of noise into the USA (back
over the island).

Team Vertical made all their splash from QTHs that had water in the
direction of both Europe AND the USA.

So I don't know what to tell ya.  Ultimately I was going down there
because I was having such a great time, and I really had nothing left to
prove.  Mission accomplished.  Good luck.  Stay out of trouble.

73 - Mark N5OT