[TowerTalk] 6m QRO 2 Position Manual Antenna/Coax Switch

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Jul 23 22:15:52 EDT 2020

I made some isolation measurements with a network analyzer on the Diawa
CS-201 about 20 years ago when I was building an SO2R setup for the W6UE
station. Most astonishingly, I found the test data. I did isolation from
common to both the A and B ports with and without the unused port
terminated into 50 ohms. Here is the worst-case:

30 MHz          -69 dB
144 MHz        -59 dB
220 MHz        -53 dB
432 MHz        -44 dB

The isolation decreases more or loss monotonically with increasing
frequency (there is a flat spot around 300 MHz). Of course, remember
this is a sample of one switch. YMMV.

In terms of reliability I had one switch stop working when one of the
beryllium copper contacts rotated out of plane because the thingamajig
holding it to the SO-239 center conductor became loose. I put some JB
weld on it and never had any problems with it after that. We had 7 or 8
of these in our SO2R setup, and aside from that one early failure, the
rest worked flawlessly. The switches were used routinely at the legal
limit level. Definitely good bang for the buck, IMO.

Unfortunately I didn't check VSWR while I was at it (I was mostly
interested in isolation at HF frequencies).

BTW, I remember working Desecheo Island on 15 meters back in the mid-80s
utilizing the poor isolation of a B&W rotary coax switch. I didn't
realize that the switch was set to the dummy load position when I made
the contact (I guess I was the dummy). Their signal really came up when
I actually selected the antenna :-)

73 Mike W4EF................