[TowerTalk] another common mode choke question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Jul 24 21:17:42 EDT 2020

Hi Charlie,

Noise is one reason for using chokes at the feedpoint. Another is
crosstalk between stations in a multi-op (or even SO2R) environment. In
our portable setups for CQP and 7QP, we're running K3/KPA500 stations
into very closely spaced antennas. We found that chokes at every
feedpoint make a very significant dent in minimizing inter-station
interference. They also prevent common mode on the feedline from filling
in pattern nulls. The chokes are in addition to W3NQN BPFs and double
chokes on 80M and 40M antennas to kill amplifier harmonics.

73, Jim K9YC