[TowerTalk] Buried HF/VHF feedlines

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Jul 25 13:16:24 EDT 2020

On 7/24/2020 11:17 PM, Jonathan - KE0YBL via TowerTalk wrote:
> Herein lies the rub -- my climber's experience has been (and probably yours as well) that directly burying this in our frozen tundra eventually results in crushed cable through thawing and freezing.

I don't have the cold weather issues here in coastal California, and
there's no human activity where cables run from my shack to my two
towers, so all cables, both hard line and control lines, are laying on
the ground. Same for flooded coax from RX antennas. Neighbor K6XX, with
a station much larger than mine, has done the same for twice as many
years. One of his runs is ~750 ft, and is larger hard line. Control line
for the rotator for my most distant tower is indoor AC cable, spliced at
the tower base to something much smaller that goes up the tower.

In ten years, the only issue I've had was a year ago, when varmints
chewed a control cable for my SteppIR. That happened after that cable
was re-routed under a newly built deck, where rabbits promptly moved in.

73, Jim K9YC