[TowerTalk] Buried HF/VHF feedlines

Kevin Kidd kkbroadcastengineering at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 14:32:23 EDT 2020

Good points but I have dug up too many failed attempts at below grade
waterproofing to go with anything less than my original statement.   Giant
warts of butyl and miles of  tape, PVC pipe pumped full of silicon sealer
down to a couple wraps of Dollar Store black tape,  Some lasted years, some
failed the first time that the water table came above the cable.  The key
is that  they all failed.   I'm sure that there are below grade splices
that remain dry but the odds aren't very good and I'm a nervous bettor.

If I were going to be FORCED to do an underground splice, I would probably
use one of the resin waterproofing kits designed for buried telco cable
that is a mold placed around the cable and poured full of a 2 part resin
sealer.  The resin gets hot and infiltrates everything.  If it bonds to the
cable half as well as it does to your hands, it would probably work for a
long while if the water pressure weren't too high.  It would have to be
direct buried because those things are fairly large even with a smaller
cable.

Regards,

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD   -  WD4RAT
kkbclists at kkbc.com <kkidd at kkbc.com>
Lawrenceburg, TN
KK Broadcast Engineering   -   AM Ground Systems Company
www.kkbc.com  --  www.amgroundsystems.com