[TowerTalk] NVIS (not exactly towers, but HF)

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 9 17:10:03 EDT 2020

On 6/9/20 12:23 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 6/9/2020 9:38 AM, jimlux wrote:
>> There's an awful lot of hams running 75m and 40m on "low antennas" -
>> Sure, most goes up, and that lets you do local comms, but it's not
>> like there's NO low angle radiation.
>
> Right. Several years ago, I did a modeling study using NEC demonstrating
> the fallacy of common thinking on the topic of antenna height and
> radiation at various vertical angles. It's here.
>
> http://k9yc.com/AntennaPlanning.pdf
>
> It shows that the optimum height for high angle radiation is around 0.2
> wavelength, that high angle radiation falls by only 1 dB at 1.5x that
> height, and by 3 dB at 0.4 wavelength.
>
> The root of the fallacy is that patterns are nearly always plotted
> without a reference for calibration of the amplitude from one antenna or
> height to another. The differences jump out at you when field strength
> for multiple mounting heights are plotted with the same amplitude scale.
> It's easy to accomplish this in EZNEC. A pattern is computed and
> displayed for each mounting height, and the plot is saved. Then plots
> are recalled as multiple overlays to a single display.
>
> One of the concepts I developed from these plots was a "figure of merit"
> in dB for mounting height for the lower HF bands, based on radiation at
> multiple low angles. That analysis begins on page 10.
>
>> I think, though, that there might be some fruitful work on a more
>> tactical basis - people with crank up/down towers might find that
>> there are "better heights" based on propagation *measurements* and
>> modeling. (whether the model is in the brain of an experienced DXer or
>> on a computer, it's all the same)
>
> This has been VERY well known by DXers and contesters for several
> decades. N6BV's work is likely rooted in his long experience as a
> contester. In contesting stations, Yagis are often stacked at various
> heights, both to be driven in combination for gain and separately to
> take advantage of propagation at different vertical angles. Likewise, it
> has been well known for decades that the optimum propagation between one
> point and another varies over time with conditions in the ionosphere.

what's potentially new, different, and exciting is that we can start to
"mechanize" the knowledge embedded in experienced contester's head.

  Whether that's good or bad is a subjective thing - kind of like
whether a keyer or morse decoders like CWSkimmer are a good thing - or
whether JT65 is better/worse than CW for moonbounce.

Or chess playing computers.