[TowerTalk] NVIS (not exactly towers, but HF)

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 10 11:06:00 EDT 2020

On 6/10/20 4:49 AM, John Simmons wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I noted that your two links are modeled using NEC2. Let's see the
> results using NEC4.

I'm not sure there would be a huge amount of difference with a dipole at
reasonable height analyzed over a narrow band.

NEC4 will give better answers if you have a wire *very close* to the
ground or buried. Or if your antenna configuration is such that you have
short segments or acute angles.

But for "dipole more than 0.05 wavelength above ground" NEC2 is probably
pretty good. For that matter, so would an analytical approximation using
the Fresnel equations and calculation of the reflection coefficient,
particularly for computing a far field pattern.

The feedpoint impedance is going to be pretty close - NEC calculates
"gain" of the antenna as driven from a 1 Volt source, so the actual feed
point impedance does have an effect.

Where NEC4 is particularly useful is when you want to know the feed
point impedances to high precision.