[TowerTalk] NVIS

Tim Duffy k3lr at k3lr.com
Wed Jun 10 23:39:21 EDT 2020

I have lots of experience with NVIS antennas and will share my observations.

I am involved with Western Pennsylvania traffic nets on the high end of 80
meters (75 meters) every morning. I have an NVIS half wave coax fed dipole
that is resonant at 3.988 MHz (1.1 to 1 VSWR). There are three 3/8 wave
radials below the antenna element on the ground. The dipole antenna is flat
(not inverted Vee) at 20 feet above ground.

I have worked very hard to get my RX noise level to less than S zero.

I hear very well with this set up - even stations running less than 5 watts.
When we do state wide drills - I hear very good out to 650 miles. This NVIS
design works for me.

You can find me at 3.983 MHz at 9 AM Monday through Saturday and 3.9905 on
Sunday.

73
Tim K3LR