[TowerTalk] NVIS

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Jun 13 14:28:47 EDT 2020

A full size low dipole on 160m does great for me on receiving
because it rejects ground wave noise more than it rejects
sky wave signals.  On TX, it might be down several S units.
I noticed no difference in receiving while A/B'ing one at 30 feet
against another at 60 feet high.  I never used the dipoles for
NVIS, if there is even such a phenomenon on 160m.  I did work a
lot of DX while receiving on a low dipole.

I feel your pain about the weak stations, who don't realize
just how really weak they are.  Sometimes 20 to 40 dB below
below a kW and a decent vertical.

Rick N6RK