[TowerTalk] Inverted Vees

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 15 11:38:26 EDT 2020

On 6/15/20 7:49 AM, Robert Harmon wrote:
> Interesting discussion on inverted V's.    I have probably a typical inverted V setup for 80M strung off of a tower.  I have the center of the V strung off my tower at 90 feet and the ends slope down to 35 feet to two poles on each side of my property.   Here's an idea I have been thinking about.  Hanging a vertical dipole from the tower with loading coils in each leg to compensate for the shorter length.  Better low angle radiation ?  I know I would have reduced bandwidth but that would be ok, I hang out in the very low end of 80 anyway chasing CW DX.  What do you think, improvement over the V ?

As Jim pointed out horizontal polarization beats vertical polarization
almost all the time. Your V is H-pol.

I've modeled dozens of antennas for restricted spaces (like suburban
lots) and, of course, verticals are attractive in that application
(inconspicuous, and they fit), but I've not found something that
consistently beats even an electrically short horizontal dipole (or a V
with shallow droop, up to 45 degrees).

Unless your house is in the middle of a particularly excellent soil
properties (salt marshes again).

There are specialized cases where the trade might push one way or the
other. Or you might value inconspicuous over performance (defined in a
TBD way).

A dipole parallel to a tower will likely couple to the tower, which will
become "part of the antenna". That's regardless of whether there's

I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to the effect - that's definitely in
"try it in NEC" territory.  The tower could "short" out the dipole, or
be a great radiator.  Think of things like compact loops with a short
coupling loop.