[TowerTalk] Question on sidemount and choice of rotor

cqtestk4xs at aol.com cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Fri Jun 19 17:38:46 EDT 2020

Doing the necessary planning and work in the US before I set up a station outside the US and I've finished five side-mounted swing arm assemblies for my Rohn 55.  The design of the swing arms is what I've used in the past..."Z" shaped, about 2 feet high and about 33 inches wide made of 1.5 inch "L' angled aluminum.  The rotor shelf and the thrust bearing shelf are also constructed from the same material and are constructed in the typical  "criss-cross" pattern to create the shelf.  The criss-cross distributes the  load across all the legs of the tower.  The swing arms will of course cover around 300 degrees.
The station will employ 3 stacked tribanders, all will be side mounted on swing arms and will be placed just above the three guy points of the tower.  Two will have a second WARC duobander above them about 10 feet higher.  The duobanders are Cushcraft A-3WS eachwith around  a 3.5 sq ft windload.  Due to clearance issues, most commercial tribanders can not be mounted on swing arms and clear the tower.  The three antennas under consideration are the KT34 (16ft boom and around 4.5 windload),  KT36 (32 ft boom and 9.5 windload), and the Skyhawk (24 ft boom, 8.5 windload).
Here's my thoughts on the rotors and choice of antennas.  I'm planning to go with Yaesu 2800s for all three rotors.  On paper the KT36 and a Cushcraft  would be no issue, but it is a side mount and of course there is considerably more torque of the rotor...and the tower.  The slightly smaller Skyhawk again coupled with the Cushcraft on paper looks good until you consider it is side mounted...same issue.  The even smaller KT34 obviously is even less of an issue.
I don't want to undersize the antenna, but on the other hand I don't want to tear up the rotor and/or the tower.
The safe bet would be the KT34 by M2.  My previous experience with swing arms leads me to think I would be just fine with forces on the tower and rotor.  I'm not sure of the Skyhawk and my gut feeling is I'd be asking for trouble using the KT36 with a longer boom (lots of torque) and the 9.5 windload.
So, bottom line, I need some feedback before i commit big bucks to antennas and rotors.  What do you all think?
73  Bill K4XS/KH7XS