[TowerTalk] TIC rollers

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Thu Jun 25 10:21:39 EDT 2020

I have never replaced my the rollers on my 1032 TIC rings rotators
that are decades old however outside of a several contests a year the
rotators are not used. The fit on TIC rings is so sloppy and the gear
rings are so out of round that I cannot imagine the roller diameter is
critical. Quality replacements would be very easy to make if you have
an account at McMaster-Carr and access to a lathe.

John KK9A

Zivney, Terry N4TZ

Ty, K3MM,

Did you  get your replacement rollers from Carl?

I was on my tower today and noticed that my rollers are
worn down about 1/4 inch - these started as 1 3/4" rollers.
The worn ones show that their construction has a fabric
base, maybe garolite? When they are new (I have a ring
in the garage that has been sitting there over 20 years)
they just appear a smooth dark grey. The rings on the
tower have been there about 20 years.

I am putting up another ring this summer, that of course
is different from the other 4 I have.  Its rollers are
much thinner, less than 1" OD, and they are held on by
setscrews which are stuck at the moment (hopefully the
WD40 will loosen them). The other rings rollers are
held by cotter pins. The skinny roller is separated
from the smaller, spacer roller made from PVC conduit by
a washer, which is roughly the size of the larger roller.
If this roller were to wear very much the ring would be
riding on the washer for support!

Tim, K3LR, and others,

Do you regularly replace the rollers in your TIC rings?

Terry N4TZ