[TowerTalk] Do I need an insulator on the ends of my dipole?

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Fri Jun 26 15:08:24 EDT 2020

This brings back a memory of the day in ST. Kitts.  VP2KBU and V47A V47M
V47K.  We were using nylon rope to hold up our 80 and 160 dipoles.
Every night the swr would become very high and we would go out and tie
them back up again.  We were right next to the ocean and the wet salt
air made short work or any insulating properties of the rope.  We
finally put real insulators on the ends and never had the issue again.
Lesson learned.  Here in dry dry dry Colorado you might be able to get
away without insulators for a while but insulators are a dollar? Just
buy them or make some out of PVC etc.

W0MU