[TowerTalk] How best to cut 1/4 inch ss cable?

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Mon Jun 29 14:05:27 EDT 2020

For crankup towers? Seems like it should be OK, I'd check with the tower
manufacturer. I think of crankup tower duty as similar to crane service
in that the cable is mostly stressed by the wrap around the sheaves. So
if the bending properties of SS is as good as regular cable, it should
be fine. But I don't know that it is.

You never see SS cable on cranes, probably because it's more expensive,
and the crane companies keep their cable lubed religiously for corrosion
and abrasion protection. Yet they still have to replace it every so
often due to wear, which would apply to SS cable just the same.

Steve K8LX