[TowerTalk] Coaxial Passthrough for Cinderblock Houses

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 29 18:45:17 EDT 2020

On 6/29/20 2:52 PM, radiok8dxxwjr at gmail.com wrote:
> Seeking the group's recommendations on passthroughs (coax and rotor) for a
> Florida cinderblock house.
>

> Some folks just recommend getting some plexiglass, putting passthrough
> connectors in the plexiglass, insert/weather-strip  it into a sliding
> window, and call it good.  I am concerned about security and bug incursion.
> Aren't there some long, tubular things I can mount in a drilled hole (coax
> OK but how about rotor cables)?

Florida = bugs - you want a sealed aperture.

Drill it - you can install a piece of PVC pipe in the hole that is
epoxied in, and then run your cables through that, and seal it up with
that putty like substance used for just this purpose (duct-seal, I
believe).

If you want a *big* hole - think in terms of a dryer outlet, 3-4"
diameter. Off the shelf rain caps, etc. are available.

Or you can have a bunch of smaller holes.

Then, set up a patch panel or similar inside, to centralize all your
connections.  Or not.