[TowerTalk] Dismantling an old 40m beam

Richard Smith n6kt1 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 6 11:46:15 EST 2020

 A few years ago, I was dis-assembling a bunch of old aluminum elements that were VERY stuck together. I tried the recommended soaking in solvents and heating up parts. I didn't have much good results. YMMV of course.
I tried something that has worked well for me, so I thought I'd pass it along. I use a come-a-long to pull them apart.
I set up between 2 trees. I tie a Pipe Hitch to one of the tubes and tie the other side of this rope to one tree. With another rope, I tie a Pipe Hitch to the other tube, and put a loop in the other side of this rope. One side of the come-a-long hooks into this loop.
The other side of the come-a-long is attached to the other tree. Take up on the come-a-long to tension the ropes. Continue increasing the tension with the come-a-long until the two tubes separate. Watch out, because the tubes can fly apart with a lot of force. Don't get your body in the way of a flying tube!
This has always worked for me and the tubing is never damaged.
Have fun and be careful!
73, Rich, N6KT