[TowerTalk] Swaging tool suggestions

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Mar 17 10:33:50 EDT 2020

There are many choices of wall thicknesses shown in the onlinemetals.com
listing of 6061 tube.  .028 .035 .049 .058 .065 .083 and larger.  Not
all wall thicknesses are available in all diameters.

Plus, they and McMaster have some sizes of IPS pipe in schedule 10, 20,
40, and 80.  All with the standard pipe series OD and different wall
thickness and thus different ID.  I used some sch10 6061 from McM as a
sleeve in the W6NL Moxon build.  Be aware that IPS pipe tolerances are
not as tight as tubing.

Both Online and McM sell short lengths.  Some web research and mix and
match selections might get very close to the needed sleeve thickness.

Then there is very heavy wall 6061 tube, 0.25 thru 1.0+ thick.  So most
any sleeve can be machined on a home shop lathe.  My 3" 0.125 wall x 48
ft booms have joiner sleeves OD machined from .375 wall 3" tube.

So that is a lot of choices to mix and match for any random sleeve.  If
the wall is correct and the id/od is off a small amount then slit the
tube lengthwise and expand or contract it to fit.

A small error in fit ( < 0.03) won't matter much if the W6NL cross bolt
fastening is used as that compresses the tube in two planes.  Slit tubes
with hose clamps can't generate enough force unless there are very close
fits.  Very tight fits assembly (line to line or dents) can be overcome
with liberal use of Penetrox or NeverSeez, a wood block on the end and a
mallet.  Never assemble tight fits without them, the aluminum will gall
and weld together.  A "test fit" might end with 4 letter words.

Grant KZ1W