[TowerTalk] 1dB more RF Power?

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Wed May 6 12:40:34 EDT 2020

<You will almost being not readable with your top end extended to 3.8-3.9 kHz
<or higher on a standard filter which we use over here, especially when you
<raise signals above 2.8kHz by EQ.
<Band width above 2.7kHz is illegal here.

<73
<Peter## Agreed.  It  appears you  folks  have  gotten  the  short  end  of  the  stick....too  bad.##  We  increase  BW  by  using  filters  wider than  normal  2.8  khz.   Which  is  done  with  either  wider  collins  mech  filters  at  455 IF,or  wider  xtal  filters  for a higher  IF.   Or  any  BW  you  want  with  xcvrs  like  ANAN,  flex  etc.  In  my  case,  I use a 6khz  collins  mech  filter  at 455...and a 5.8 khz  xtal  filter  at  the  higher IF..on  both  my  yasesu FT-1000-MP-MKVs.  Upper  +  lower  BW  is limited  on TX  with  the  use  of  external digital EQ.  IE:  brickwall the  top  end  at say 3400 hz, or  3400 hz, 4500  hz  etc...and  ditto  with  bottom  end.The  MK-V  will  generate a SSB  signal in  either the yaseu  digital  format....  with a max  tx  bw  of  100/200/300 - 3100  hz.  Or in  the  analog  conventional  method,  using  mech  + xtal  filters.  With  the wider analog  filters,  I  can  still  narrow  down  the  RX,  using the  width +  shift  control.  I  also  employ  a  lot  of  external audio  processing  on  RX...  like  adding  harmonics to  narrower ssb  signals,  +some  RX  eq....+  downward  expanders  etc.   ##  Several  of  us  have  run  hundreds  of  tests  using  varying  top  end  BWs...  with  real  weak  ssb  signals.  In  every  case,  the  widertx  BWs   prevail.  Flip  side is....  wider  TX  +  RX  BWs  are more  prone  to  QRM. Jim   VE7RF