[TowerTalk] HST4-50 Heliax

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Thu May 14 08:16:19 EDT 2020

I tried an air dielectric coax outdoors once in the late 80's. I used
Belden 9913 and I was amazed at how much water got into the cable - it
literally was a garden hose. I would avoid using HST4-50 even if it
was free for the cons that K8LX listed below.  LDF4 plus the
connectors are available surplus and it's a much better choice.

John KK9A

Steve Maki wroteL

It's a specialty cable. Plenum, air dielectric. Meant for indoor use.

Pros: low loss, doesn't create dangerous fumes when burned.

Cons: Not good for outdoor use - Not UV protected - any water ingress
will travel the length of the cable (it's a hose) - hard to find
connectors at a reasonable cost.

-Steve K8LX