[TowerTalk] Feed Point Choke Question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Nov 6 15:37:44 EST 2020

On 11/6/2020 12:28 PM, Artek Manuals wrote:
> The short answer is how tight you make the turns will have little real
> world effect.

That short answer is WRONG.

Use the RG-8X I would probably use the #31 core over the
> 43 . The poor mans 8 turns of coax 4-5" in diameter without ferrites
> will probably actually work as well.

Define "work." The important thing a choke should do is kill common mode
current on the feedline that couples noise to the antenna and fills in
nulls in the antenna's pattern. That "poor man's" solution won't do much
for that. If "work" means it won't overheat, yes, it would "work."

> Depending on SWR and feed line
> dressing (always perpendicular to the plane of the beam the need for
> choke at all� is arguable

It's arguable only if you don't understand the problem, or don't care
about noise or the antenna's nulls.

73, Jim K9YC