[TowerTalk] Vertical placement?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Nov 12 13:05:00 EST 2020

On 11/12/2020 8:30 AM, k7lxc--- via TowerTalk wrote:
> Which would be a better solution - mounting an all-band trap vertical on the ground with assorted radials or on the roof of a 1 story house with assorted radials? I'm leaning to the roof mount since then the radials are mostly out of the way of ground traffic.

Hi Steve,

I answered exactly this question several years ago with an extensive
modeling study motivated by the work that you and Ward did 20 years ago.
These link are to slide decks for talks at Pacificon. The first
addresses verticals, the second horizontal antennas.

http://k9yc.com/VerticalHeight.pdf

http://k9yc.com/VertOrHorizontal-Slides.pdf

This is the link to a piece I wrote for NCJ that addresses both.

http://k9yc.com/AntennaPlanning.pdf

The short answer is that on the roof is better, and that the design of
some verticals is such that they don't need or benefit from radials.

73, Jim K9YC