[TowerTalk] Small mast design - comments?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 12 18:36:14 EST 2020

On 11/12/20 1:55 PM, Ross Tucker wrote:
> Thank you everybody for your help! Following the advice given so far, my
> design is currently as follows:
>
> The lower section of mast is 12' of 6061 aluminum, 2" diameter, 1/4" wall
> thickness. This will be resting on a base stand (with some rocks piled on
> it for good measure) at the bottom, and be attached to the wall of the RV
> with 3"-wall standoff brackets at 2' up and 7' up.
>
> The upper section of mast is 12' of 6061 aluminum, 1-1/2" diameter, 1/8"
> wall thickness. _IF_ by some miracle, it happens to telescope, that's
> great, but my assumption is that I will bolt this side-by-side to the lower
> mast at three places, using #6 SS bolts (4" long). Just below each antenna,
> we will attach guys running forward and back along the RV.
>
> Am I missing anything important?
> _

that looks like it would work.  Do you need that big a diameter? and you
could probably use 1/8" wall for the bottom.  The cost difference
probably wouldn't drive you, it's more about weight and wrestling it around.

Take a look at SpeedRail aluminum - it's used for safety handrails in
smaller sizes (about 1.5") and it is strong enough for someone to fall
on it without bending, and I don't think the wall is 1/4" -  I think
it's more like 0.140"

it's *pipe* not tubing for dimensions.

https://www.hollaender.com/site/assets/files/4477/hollaender_pipe_size_chart_2017.pdf