[TowerTalk] Tips for Modelling swaged antenna tubing sections

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 08:59:14 EDT 2020

Jim Lux wrote:

but does the model actually show much difference? One can get way down in the
weeds with this - put a tapered segment in that's 1 cm long, etc. But if the
wavelength is 20 meters, a 1 cm transition is 0.0005 wavelength. I'd worry more
about numerical instability than model accuracy at that point.

--------------------

I have been going through the same exercise with a homebrew 15 meter beam. Can
models like N6BV's YW be trusted for segments that are a small fraction of a
wavelength ? What about the Leeson equations/spreadsheet for converting to an
equivalent, single-diameter, cylindrical element ?

Some examples from my modeling:

- The 1/2" wide, 0.1" thick, 3.5" long, aluminum straps that connects together
the parasitic element halves ?

- The 3" long swaging sections ?

73,
Steve, N2IC