[TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 20 15:03:29 EDT 2020

On 10/20/20 10:49 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 10/20/2020 9:42 AM, k7lxc--- via TowerTalk wrote:
>>   So what other manufacturers of vertical dipoles would be worth doing
>> business with?
>
> Certainly those that you and N0AX tested 2o years ago. Like any
> vertical, their performance will depend on soil conductivity, and they
> will work a bit better if roof mounted.

I think though, Steve LXC was interest in vertical dipoles (recognizing
that some multiband verticals are quasi dipoles, albeit with very
unequal lengths).

Isn't the GAP vertical series also a vertical dipole (off center fed)?

Except that the Greyline depends on having a tuner/matching network at
the bottom to deal with the mismatch.

Essentially, it seems this no different conceptually than an
electrically short horizontal dipole with a tuner at the feedpoint -
with modern tuners, etc., I think this is pretty viable.  You make the
dipole short enough that you don't get weird high order lobes (like you
would with, say, a 40 foot vertical against a groundplane or radials on
10 meter band).

Most of the commentary on the various forums seems more about the
business practices than the actual antenna design.  Maybe it's a "you
can't get there from here for that price" kind of scenario.

It's complicated, supply chain-wise, by the fact that the matching
network is an integral part of the system - it's not a "go get aluminum
tubing, cut to size, add bracketry and make the kit".

I think also, without much information, that the idea of essentially
converting a flagpole design is a clever one. And one that could be done
by anyone - You make a deal with a flagpole manufacturer to either build
it with the insulators & holes in the right places, or you do that as a
modification step.

Just browsing through the Home Depot website, for instance, you can find
a 20 ft aluminum flag pole for $150.

But you go to commercial flagpoles and a 30 footer is a bit pricier.
Upwards of $600.  Sectional poles (which I assume come in smaller
lengths that you assemble, which might be better for antenna use) are in
that bucket for a 25 footer.

https://www.united-states-flag.com/commercial-grade-sectional-25-ft-flagpole-satin.html.
says good to 69 mi/hr without a flag.

It doesn't give any information on the lengths of the segments, but you
could probably figure it out.