[TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 20 15:07:37 EDT 2020

On 10/20/20 11:10 AM, amfone via TowerTalk wrote:
>   But if its a vertical positioned  dipole it does not need a counter poise or radials as its a dipole. A vertical dipole has a pattern and low take off angle like a true vertical but the feed line must come away from the center at a 90 degree angle for best performance for several feet.

Or as is done in some antennas, down the inside, with a good choke.
10-15 ft of decent coax won't introduce that much loss with the matching
network at the base.

I think the key would be to keep the active length less than around 3/4
wavelength at the highest frequency of operation to keep the feedpoint
impedance not too high.  So on 10m, that would be 7.5 meters which is
about 25 feet.