[TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Thu Oct 22 12:39:05 EDT 2020

I find this very surprising!  A vertical does not really have a low
radiation angle unless it is over a perfect ground.  Assuming that
your vertical dipole base is near the ground I would expect the 115 ft
high dipole blow it away the in the favored direction.

John KK9A

Robert Harmon k6uj wrote:

I actually did the same scenario here.   I have a full size 40M dipole
at 115 feet and I fabbed a vertical full size dipole for 40M and hung
it from the side of the tower for comaprison.   On DX the vertical won
hands down on every sig.   On closer in, stateside stuff stuff the
horizontal dipole was the best.  Not suprising, the vertical dipole
has a lower angle of radiation.   I also checked to be sure the tower
wasn't interacting with the vertical dipole to be sure it didn't screw
up th pattern.  I am very pleased with the vertical dipole's
performance (for DX)

Bob
K6UJ