[TowerTalk] Low Cost 20 Foot Mast

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 24 16:59:02 EDT 2020

On 10/24/20 1:06 PM, Tony wrote:
> All:
>
> I'm looking for a low-cost 20 foot mast that can handle a modest 2 meter
> EME setup. The mast will be cemented in place and attached to the side
> of a 9 foot tall shed for support. I can't anchor guy wires to the
> ground, but I can run a couple to the shed.
>
> The challenge is home brewing something that can handle the weight of
> the azimuth and elevation rotors mounted at the top so the mast.
>
> I thought of threaded galvanized pipe sections, but they are a bit
> pricey. Also thought of 2 inch schedule 40 PVC with some kind of
> internal support to make it more rigid.

The key on stiffness is diameter - a 4" diameter thin wall tube is
enormously stiffer than a 2" diameter solid bar- because it goes as the
fourth power of radius.

Rick N6RK used 4" (?) aluminum irrigation tubing for verticals.  You
might be able to find it used ("Rain for Rent", for instance).

You might also find some of that lattice TV tower stuff - it looks like
standard mast material (like Rohn 25), but is about 6" on a side. That's
fairly stiff, also.