[TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Oct 27 16:28:00 EDT 2020

On 10/27/2020 11:56 AM, Rob Atkinson wrote:
> Unrelated:  In the Nov. QST in the Doctor Is In column, the author
> Joel Hallas W1ZR, states that a 180 degree base fed vertical monopole
> needs no ground system, only "short counterpoise rods, which look like
> radials but are usually only 4-6 feet long, to provide a connection
> point for the shield of the coax."  That is utterly incorrect.  It is
> voltage fed, but it is still a monopole, and is still unbalanced and
> induces currents in the earth.  It needs a ground system.
>
> 73
> Rob
> K5UJ

I built 1/4 wave and 1/2 wave verticals for 20 meters.
The 1/4 one one had 32 1/4 wave radials.  The 1/2 wave
one had only the shield of the feedline as a counterpoise.
I did an A/B test using received signals off the air.
I could not discern any consistent advantage of one
versus the other.   YMMV.

Rick N6RK