[TowerTalk] DIY conduit locator?

tony.kaz at verizon.net tony.kaz at verizon.net
Wed Oct 28 13:16:10 EDT 2020

Nice idea.
Tnx
N2TK, Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: TowerTalk <towertalk-bounces at contesting.com> On Behalf Of Tim Duffy
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 11:49 AM
To: 'Grant Saviers' <grants2 at pacbell.net>; towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DIY conduit locator?

Hello Grant:

As far as locating underground coax cables, I have had great success using
the Elecraft XG-3. I built a "flipper" adapter that takes the output center
conductor of the XG-3 and flips it on the outside shield for the coax cable
(the XG3 shield flips to the coax center conductor). Turn the XG3 on and use
0 dBm output hooked to the flipper and then to the coax under test. I use 80
meters. Then by using a hand held RX (SSB or CW) it is simple at ground
level to hear exactly where the coax is located. Terminating the far end of
the coax with a 50 ohm load can improve signal strength, but is not normally
needed.

73
Tim K3LR