[TowerTalk] DIY conduit locator?

n0tt1 at juno.com n0tt1 at juno.com
Wed Oct 28 16:26:20 EDT 2020

Grant,

I made a "multi-freq" oscillator using a couple of 555 timers, one of
which was
allowed to run almost "wide open".  That was the signal
generator/oscillator.  The other
555 turned the oscillator on and off resulting in a beep-beep that was
easily
heard when the signal was very low.  So, now I had a low-power, portable,
RF regenerator with
lots of harmonics that could be heard with say, a broadcast band radio.
So now what?

I connected the "hot" lead to the conductor I wanted to trace and then
the "ground"
lead was connected to say, a water pipe.  I was then able to trace the
route of
just about any underground wire for at least a couple hundred feet.  It's
important
to note that this method will not work if both connections are made to
the
same group of conductors.  The oscillator "ground" lead must go
elsewhere,
definitely not to the center and shield of the same coax for example.
Experiment!!

That said, I see no reason why you couldn't trace your conduit for some
finite
distance using just about any low/medium freq oscillator and a portable
radio
with the usual "built in" loop antenna.  That's even if your conduit is
direct-buried
or not.

Happy hunting!

73,