[TowerTalk] 4 square question Part III

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 31 16:31:38 EDT 2020

On 10/31/20 12:11 PM, kq2m at kq2m.com wrote:
> I want to thank KK9A, NA6O, W4EF, SM2EKM, DCharing (callsign?) and W6RMK, for all of their guidance, comments and links to helpful sites.  Greatly appreciated as always!
>
> Now for the final question...  let’s say that the “positions” of the Gauge 12 or 14 THHN wire 4-square elements are N, E, S, and W, arranged in a box with the sides broadside to NE, SE, SW, and NW and all the elements will all have either 3 or 4 elevated radials.  I will be using the Comtek ACB4 (80) phasing box fed with each element fed with 1/4 wavelengths of RG11 foam coax.  (It’s the same phasing box I have been using for the past 25 years).
>
> Does it matter what directions the radials are pointing for each element?

Not really - what the radial(s) do is provide a return path for the
current that "intercepts" the ground - and reduce "ground loss"
(independent of the "counterpoise" function).

The elements themselves are assumed omni directional. And it's only some
some sort of extreme cases (1 radial) that there's a more than trivial
effect on the directionality of the radiation pattern of a single
element.  What changes is the efficiency (i.e. the loss resistance gets
lower as the number of radials increases).

In the usual 4SQ "current forcing" array with 3/4 wavelength feed lines,
the current in the element (which is what radiates) is the right
ampliude and phase to form the beam.

So let’s say I am using the NE position on the ACB-4 controller, since I
am radiating on all 4 elements, does it matter what directions the
radials are pointing?  Do I want to have the same radial directions with
all 4 elements or do I want to spread out the radial directions
differently on each element?  Since NE is by far the most important
direction for me (Europe), do I want to have more radials pointing NE or
broadside NE or equally spread out so that the radiation and current
return is more uniform?   I am not clear on any of this or if it is even
important so I would appreciate any guidance that you can provide!