[TowerTalk] Testing C-3 near ground

Robert Harmon k6uj at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 2 00:00:52 EDT 2020

Al,

I have tried what Tom suggests with a 10 meter yagi and it worked pretty well.

I have a Force 12 C3 also and I mounted mine 12 feet above the ground for testing as you described.  Tom Schiller
suggests this method in his C3 manual.   If you try this method for testing the resonant frequency will be about 25Khz lower in frequency
than when it is raised up and mounted on the tower.  Keep the wire length from the balun to the attachment point at 2 1/2" or less.  If you don't
the resonant frequency on the 20M driver will be lower than it should be and you will be thinking of shortening the driver tips.  I made this mistake and
fiddled with changing the driver tip lengths and everything was off.   Finally was reading the manual about the do not exceed 2 1/2" length and discovered
mine were about 5" long  :-(    so I shortened them to 2 1/2" and put the driver tips back where they were originally and then everything fell into place.
I am planning on lowering my C3 down and doing a complete cleaning and overhaul myself.   Great antenna.  Good luck on your install !

73,
Bob
K6UJ