[TowerTalk] How to Clip on with a Fall Arrest Lanyard

Ken K6MR k6mr at outlook.com
Sun Sep 6 22:28:04 EDT 2020

Thinking out loud here, and as an EE not an ME.

If you clip onto a vertical leg, when the fall arrest deploys, the only thing stopping the Gorilla hook from sliding down the vertical member is the cross brace where it is welded to the upright.  Common sense says that it will wedge itself into the ‘V’ created between the cross brace and the tower leg.

If you clip onto a cross brace, the Gorilla hook will slide down the cross brace and stop at the weld between the tower leg and the cross brace.  Again, it will be wedged into the ‘V’ between the two.  There will be virtually no leverage on the cross brace, so the chances of the cross brace bending away from the tower would seem to be almost nil.

The only way I could see either method failing is if the weld pulled away from the leg.  What am I missing?

Ken K6MR