[TowerTalk] VSWR Heating in Chokes and Baluns

HP pfizenmayer at q.com
Mon Sep 7 03:01:06 EDT 2020

Got sent by accident -- I would not try this except with a rugged tube amp and watch it carefully feeding the series resonated case-
The core may heat very rapidly . I had decided to not send it .

I did basically the magnetizing flux portion years ago evaluating Q1 , Q2 Q3 Indiana General rods for a 1.5 KW
antenna loading coil application in the 1.5 to 3. 4 mhz region. Along with heating we were looking at whether
there were any IMD issues at high levels of amp turns -We did not see any even at levels that heated the cores so fast
it was a moot point . I also learned to not cool the cores too fast or I had a lump of useles grey

Hank K7HP