[TowerTalk] Wire Rope

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 9 19:35:14 EDT 2020

On 9/9/20 3:04 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

> On 9/9/2020 1:25 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
>
>> I've had terrible experience with stranded copperweld. For at least
>> ten years, my "go to" strong antenna wire is #8 bare copper from the
>> big box
>
>> 73, Jim K9YC
>
> Everyone has trouble with stranded copperweld; instead you want to use
> solid copperweld, as has been pointed out here already.
>
> 73
> Rick N6RK

I'm sort of surprised they even sell stranded copperclad steel.. who
uses such things?

single strand copperclad has been around for more than a century - miles
of telephone wires on poles, for instance.

There's also ACSR cable for power transmission lines - but that's a
stranded steel core (wire rope, really) with aluminum strands wrapped
around it.