[TowerTalk] Grnding REF + DIR

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Sep 15 22:30:22 EDT 2020

I  have  installed a  pair  of  vac  relays in  a nema  box... on  both the  REF  +  DIR on a  modified  340N.
4 toggle switches  in shack will  control the  4  relays.
The pair of vac  relays  tap a  1  inch  wide strap coil  at  1/3    and   2/3.  Strap  coil  is  just 7  turns of 1 inch  wide copper  strap with a 1.5  inch  ID.
I  would  like to DC  ground  each inboard ele  half.
Due  to  the  bizarre switching  scheme..which  allows for 4 x  independent  tuning segments, its not
a  simple  matter  of bonding the  strap  coil to the boom.

I  was  thinking  instead,  to just  use  something  simple  like a 1-5 megohm, 5  watt  MOF  resistor,  from  each
inboard   ele  half..to  the  boom.  Or perhaps  2 paralleled  resistors on  each  inboard  ele  half....for  redundancy.

Will  this  scheme work?   If  so,  what value of  resistor should be used..and  what wattage ?

The DE  uses a helical hairpin,  made from .375  silver plated  copper  tubing...+ 2   CM  baluns  in  series. The
hairpin  ties  both  ele  halves  together,  and  the  shield of  incoming coax  is  bonded to  the  mast..via a 1 in,  2 out
remote  switch  box.  So,  in  effect, both DE ele  halves  are  already DC  grounded to the mast. I removed the  DE  from the  boom,  and instead  mounted it
to the  side of the  mast.  DE  is 5  feet  above the  boom.

Jim   VE7RF