[TowerTalk] Tower resonant frequency

K9MA k9ma at sdellington.us
Fri Sep 18 01:47:37 EDT 2020

I once had a 2 element small receiving loop array with my 70 foot tower
in between them. I knew that re-radiation from the tower would be an
issue. The tower was shunt fed on 80 and 160. I was able to detune the
tower on 160 and get a good f/b with the loops. On 80, however, that
just didn't work. NEC modeling confirmed that the tower was just too big
to detune that way on 80. (It was probably about an electrical 3/8
wavelength on 80.) I suppose it's possible your tower might be enough
bigger that it might work. First, try modeling your tower, and the
antennas on it to get an idea of its electrical length. Then model it as
a base-insulated tower of that electrical length, and see if some
terminating reactance allows the 4-square to work. If so, there's at
least a possibility that a gamma match up the tower terminated in a
reactance might detune it enough.

If that looks like it might work. listen on the four-square and adjust
the terminating reactance for minimum noise or best f/b. I mounted a
short vertical on my car, parked it off the back side of the loop array,
fed it with a little oscillator, and adjusted the termination for a
null. Minimum noise seemed to work about as well.

All that said, re-radiation from the tower might not be such a big issue
on transmit, as it mainly affects the f/b and other nulls. If you use
other antennas for receive, it's probably not going to be a problem
unless the tower happens to be resonant at exactly the operating
frequency. Still, it would probably be useful to determine the
electrical length of the tower, and include it in your model.

73,
Scott K9MA