[TowerTalk] EFHW core

K9MA k9ma at sdellington.us
Mon Sep 21 19:27:55 EDT 2020

It's a multiple of a half wave on all those bands, which means the
feedpoint impedance is very high, typically 2,000 to 5,000 Ohms. A good
transformer with a turns ratio of about 8:1 should get it within range
of the internal ATUs of most radios. Making a transformer that works
over that frequency range is not trivial: If the core is big enough to
avoid saturation on 40 meters, the stray capacitance may be to high on 10.

As far as the core, it depends on the size of the core(s), material,
number of turns, impedance, and frequency.  There's a simple equation
for that, found in any magnetics design reference.

https://www.mag-inc.com/Design/Design-Guides

This will tell you the minimum core size and minimum number of turns for
a given voltage. Figuring out the effect of stray capacitance isn't so easy.

I think a better approach is to use a simple L-network tuner. With a
switched inductor with just a single properly positioned tap for band,
the SWR should be well within the internal ATU range. The only tricky
part is finding a variable capacitor with a high enough voltage rating,
about 2500 V at 500 W.  The L and C values can be determined
experimenatlly at low power with small components.

73,
Scott K9MA