[TowerTalk] EFHW core

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 22 13:09:44 EDT 2020

On 9/22/20 10:04 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 9/21/2020 5:11 PM, Ignacy Misztal wrote:
>> It s hard to be smart here without tons of experimentation.
>
> Huh? How about studying the fundamentals? The ARRL Handbook and ARRL
> Antenna Book are great places to do that. NEC modeling is a great
> learning tool for antennas, and SimSmith is great for studying
> transmission lines and matching networks. There are several tutorials on
> my website that cover ferrites and common mode chokes. Jerry Sevick
> published a lot of great work on transformers using ferrite cores.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

And these days, one can buy a nice little VNA (NanoVNA) that works great
at HF for $50 - just the thing for checking the calculations.

Of course, then you'll wind up learning more than you want to know about
"fixturing" for testing your transformers and chokes.

I will say that magnetics design is very much a "calculate, then try"
sort of thing. There's a lot of things (like parasitic C) that are hard
to model with simple tools.