[TowerTalk] EFHW core

K9MA k9ma at sdellington.us
Tue Sep 29 14:15:54 EDT 2020

I went through a similar exercise with a 40 m EFHW for 40 and 20. It is
true that the full wave resonance is not exactly twice the full wave
one.  I designed and built a small QRP tuner specifically for this
antenna. It has a pretty wide resistance range, like 2K to 6K, but
limited reactance range. Some modeling told the length of wire that
could be matched on both bands. It works fine. Although I never
considered 15 meters, it turns out to work there, too. Then one day I
heard a station I wanted to work on 30 meters. Much to my surprise, I
was able to get it down to 1:1 and worked the station. That was purely
an accident, and I'm sure it wasn't very efficient with the 2 meter
counterpoise I use for the other bands, and I wouldn't try that with
more than 5 W.

73,
Scott K9MA