[TowerTalk] Re; Ground Rod Plating

Dennis W0JX w0jx at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 16:06:40 EDT 2021

I have a similar question. I have pulled copper 1/2" and 3/4" water pipe out of the ground after several years and have found that the surface of the pipe is a dark brown color, most likely oxidized copper. I have measured the surface resistance and note that it can be high.
Does that mean that after a certain number of years, the effectiveness of my beverage and other antenna ground rods decreases significantly? Does that mean they should be replaced on a periodic basis?
I've tried chemical removal of this oxidized coating but the most effective way is scouring with abrasive pads and sanding with sand paper.
73 Dennis W0JX