[TowerTalk] Long span lanyard for wire antenna

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 21 00:08:49 EDT 2021

I wouldn't use Phillystran if there is any repeated bending such as
going over a pulley, although it is not clear what "lanyard" means.

Kevlar is fatigue prone unless specifically treated or in a rope
specifically constructed for extended fatigue life.  In my research into
Phillystran I didn't find any indication of this.

New England Ropes Sta-Set polyester is my favorite for low stretch,
durable, and easy to handle line for all kinds of uses beyond what it
did on my sailboat -(vangs, sheets, halyards, spinnaker pole guys).  Now
gin pole hoists, temporary guys, multipart blocks, tower rigging, etc.

350ft is a long way for a catenary plus antenna plus coax plus wind
load.  The tension side load on the tower ought to be considered in the
design by a PE IMO.

Grant KZ1W