[TowerTalk] burying conduit Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 224, Issue 15

Steve Davis | Davis RF sdavis at davisrf.com
Mon Aug 16 16:33:51 EDT 2021

burying conduit vs pulling when (STEPHEN L SALA)

Steve,

What is the make and part # of the cable   ?
What OD is the cable   ?
What is the ID of the conduit  ?
What type of bends (angle)    ?

Without knowing these answers, but assuming the ID is  at least twice the OD of the cable, and with sweeping bends vs. right angles (you need to know the min. bend radius of the cable and limit the bends to that), then I would say run a rope thru the sections as you cement them together, let he cement set, then pull the cable thru.

Running the cable thru ea section , and gluing, not a good idea. The cement won't effect the electicals but you are apt to cement the cable inside the conduit.

Most commercial insallations are done with the cable buried first, then pull thru.   But not an issue if you want to pulll it thru the conduit, right next to the  ditch, then roll it in and back fill.

Also, you can put both ends of the conduit slightly below the middle. Drill holes in bottom of conduit on each end and allow to leach out moisture into a small gravel dry well of sorts under the hole.   This assumes a water table will not get as high as the conduit.  But if you are using certain cables, like RFS or Heliax, the outer conductor is PE, impervious to water, oil, gas and certain chem's.

Having said all that, it is best if you tell me the above info so I can better address the application.

73  Steve,   K1PEK   DAVIS RF Co.       DAVIS ROPE and Cable Assembly, LLC

Message: 1