[TowerTalk] Looking for recommendations for an 80 M DX antenna

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Dec 4 15:55:04 EST 2021

On 12/4/2021 9:43 AM, Don Solberg wrote:
> I would welcome any recommendations and experiences.

I have a similar situation, in a redwood forest. Dense forests like ours
soak up vertically polarized RF, so verticals are a bad idea for us. My
only verticals are for 160M, where any horizontal antenna would be VERY
low electrically, and thus a cloud warmer.

I've studied this situation extensively, and I strongly recommend the
highest flat dipole(s) you can rig at right angles to each other and fed
with RG11.

Equally important, concentrate on HEARING the DX. First, work on
cleaning up your RF noise -- that in your own home and, if possible,
from your neighbors. Study http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf and
utilize what you learn.  The average home includes dozens of nasty noise
sources, which must be searched out and killed. I run legal limit on FT8
on 6M and 160, and I regularly get signal reports that are 10 dB worse
than I give. Since FT8 reports are all about signal to noise, this makes
clear that the average ham is DEAF. If we can't hear 'em, we can't work 'em!

Second, work on RX antennas. Beverages are great if you have room.
Single wires of about 275 ft are ideal for 80M, but shorter ones will
still work, and are easy and cheap to build. I support mine both with
laying them on brush and with sections of 1/2-in PVC conduit slipped
over sections of 1/4-in rebar stuck into the ground. I have two
reversible Beverages using DX Eng electronics, one to EU/VK and the
other to JA/SA (I'm near San Francisco).

And last, work contests. It's a great way to get a head start on DXCC. I
have 224 confirmed on 80 in 15 years from this QTH.

73, Jim K9YC