[TowerTalk] 80m vertical ideas / questions

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu Dec 30 12:46:04 EST 2021

How to make short self supporting decent performance 80 and 160
verticals is an *interesting* design problem ;) .  My goal is to make
one for 160m so I can get away from a dense tree area of RF absorbers
and T supports.

For 80m, a great vertical I had at a prior QTH was 40ft of 3" irrigation
pipe (guyed) on top of a metal barn roof.  That design had a capacity
hat of 8 x 6ft 0.375" dia 6061 tubes and a perimeter wire.  I think that
would scale easily to 40ft of R25 and perhaps a small stub mast to
support the hat and tune to lower in the band.  40ft of R25 is ok self
supporting.  It you only have 28ft then add some 2" mast which will have
lower wind load than R25.

One mistake I made was to use solid Al wire as the perimeter for the
hat. It fatigued and broke from wind vibration. A high flex copper
antenna wire some clips that reduce the strain at the hat tips
connections would be better.  The pipe was base hinged so came down
easily for fixing.  An R25 version should have a base hinge, but you
will need a falling derrick rig to raise and lower the assembly based on
short R25 towers we used on Field Days.

Grant KZ1W