[TowerTalk] Measuring RF ground characteristics

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Feb 13 13:57:09 EST 2021

Just a heads up:

Gerry Burke, of LLL/NEC fame had some discouraging news
about their ground measurements.  He told me that in
some cases there was no configuration of NEC parameters that would
correlate with some real life ground measurements.

The other disclaimer is that NEC only models a uniform ground.
I know my ground is far from that.  After 1 to 5 feet of pure
clay, I hit "cemented hardpan" waterproof clay.  About 40 feet
down I hit sand, according to the well diggers.  No way to
model that with NEC.

Rick N6RK